Abbreviations: OTS = Obesity Treatment Specialists, Phen/Topira = Phentermine/Topiramate
Notes:* Data from 2008 and (2012 unpublished) surveys by American Society of Bariatric Physicians.11 ‘In __% of patients’ averages of survey respondents’ answers to the question ‘in what % of your patients did you prescribe this drug?’
** A retrospective report with a small number of patients. There is no data in the literature with patient results beyond 12 weeks.
1. Astrup A, Carraro R, Finer N, et al. Safety, tolerability and sustained weight loss over 2 years with the once-daily human GLP-1 analog, liraglutide. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013;37:322.
2. Fidler MC, Sanchez M, Raether B, et al. A one-year randomized trial of lorcaserin for weight loss in obese and overweight adults: the BLOSSOM trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:3067-77.
3. Garvey WT. Phentermine and topiramate extended-release : a new treatment for obesity and its role in a complications-centric approach to obesity medical management. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2013.
4. Hendricks EJ, Greenway FL, Westman EC, et al. Blood pressure and heart rate effects, weight loss and maintenance during long-term phentermine pharmacotherapy for obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011;19:2351-60.
5. Cercato C, Roizenblatt VA, Leanca CC, et al. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study of the long-term efficacy and safety of diethylpropion in the treatment of obese subjects. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33:857-65.
6. Le Riche WH, Van Belle G. Study of phendimetrazine bitartrate as an appetite suppressant in relation to dosage, weight loss and side effects. Can Med Assoc J. 1962;87:29-31.
7. Astrup A, Caterson I, Zelissen P, et al. Topiramate: long-term maintenance of weight loss induced by a low-calorie diet in obese subjects. Obes Res. 2004;12:1658-69.
8. Gadde KM, Kopping MF, Wagner HR, et al. Zonisamide for weight reduction in obese adults: a 1-year randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172:1557-64.
9. Astrup A, Carraro R, Finer N, et al. Safety, tolerability and sustained weight loss over 2 years with the once-daily human GLP-1 analog, liraglutide. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012;36:843-54.
10. Bray GA. Why do we need drugs to treat the patient with obesity? Obesity. 2013;21:893-9.
11. Hendricks EJ, Rothman RB, Greenway FL. How physician obesity specialists use drugs to treat obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009;17:1730-5.
Ed J. Hendricks, M.D.
May 3, 2014