You will need some napkins for this juicy burger! Serve this delicious, low-carb version with a side of skinny potato skins or Zucchini Fries. This will surely become a family favorite in your home just as it is in ours.
For the cheeseburger:
- 1.25 pounds lean ground sirloin between 4-8% fat, or ground turkey
- Burger seasoning of your choice, 2 teaspoons (We like the Beef and Burger Herb from Made in Napa Valley and garlic salt)
- Four slices 2% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Provolone, or cheese of your choice
For the burger fixings:
- 12 Butter lettuce leaves, whole, washed
- One large avocado, sliced into 8 wedges
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickle spears
For the zucchini fries:
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, cut into thirds and wedged
- ½ cup ground almond meal (or ½ cup finely ground parmesan cheese)
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 T. Italian or herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the burger patties by mixing the seasoning into the meat and forming four patties. Turn the grill on or pre-heat the oven. You can also grill in a cast iron skillet.
- For the zucchini. Mix the dry seasoning together and put in a bowl. Dip the zucchini wedges in the egg whites, then into the seasoning. Place seasoned zucchini on a baking tray and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or so until the outside is browned.
- While zucchini is baking, cook the burger patties to your liking, about 5 minutes on each side. Add the cheese slices as soon as you take the patties off the grill.
- Prepare individual plates with 3 lettuce leaves on each. Place cooked patties on top of lettuce leaves and top each patty with a red onion and tomato slice. Garnish the plate with a pickle and avocado. We like to add a dollop of mayo and mustard to our burger.
- Wrap the lettuce around the burger and take a delicious bite with napkins close by because it will get all over!