Portabella Pizza – Makes One Serving
Create this simple, tasty dish for the crowd. You can also use button or other smaller-sized mushrooms for a bite-sized appetizer.
• One large portabella mushroom, 4-5 inches in diameter
• ¼ cup shredded reduced fat Italian style cheese , about 7 grams of protein
• Diced deli meat (smoked turkey, turkey pepperoni, ham, etc.), enough to equal 20 grams of protein.
• 2 T. pizza sauce
• 1 tsp. pesto sauce (or make your own)
• ½-1 tsp. Napa Valley Meritage seasoning (or Italian seasoning)
Wash the mushroom, pat dry with a paper towel, and hollow out the inside to form a cup. Mix the pizza and pesto sauce together and spread on the bottom of the mushroom. Combine the meat, cheese and Meritage seasoning together and stuff the mushroom.
Put a little non-stick spray on a cooking pan or some aluminum foil, place the pizza on top, place in oven, and cook at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes and cheese is melted and meat is browned. Mushroom should be cooked but not too soft.
Options: Use cooked ground meat, chopped lean cooked sausage or soy meat. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of fresh parmesan cheese after it’s cooked. Add fresh herbs.
Nutritional Analysis: One pizza contains approximately 30 grams of protein, 8 grams of net carbohydrate, 11 grams of fat and 250 calories.
Leave a reply →